Clare explains what face mapping can tell you about acne
I know you can relate. I always broke out in the same places, my cheeks. The struggle was real. Then I learned that I could find the cause of the acne by its location on my face through "face mapping"
Face mapping is a 5000-year-old Asian stream of thought with Ayurvedic and traditional Chinese medicinal principles.
This ancient knowledge is quite powerful. In fact, a Face Mapping program was developed by the International Dermal Institute exclusively for Dermalogica to address customer’s skin care concerns.
What is Face Mapping?
According to face mapping, different parts of your face represent certain body systems. When you look at the affected area on the face, you understand the underlying issue.
It's not an exact science, but it's interesting.
In the guide below, issues and solutions for each part of the face don't apply to everyone. There are so many reasons we get acne: poor skin care, hormones, genetics, hygiene, allergies, medication etc
So don't freak out. Just because you have forehead pimples doesn't mean you should head to the nearest ER.
A Map of My Face Showing Possible Problem Zones and Solutions
Glow melanin! Glow!
Problem Zone - 1 and 2. On the forehead
Issue - Digestive
Solution(s) - Improve your diet by:
- Drinking more water and less soda. Yes, girl, that includes Coke Zero.
- Adopt a relaxing night routine and get enough sleep. The average adult needs 6 - 8 hours.
- Keep a food journal to see if your acne is related to certain foods.
- Reduce refined sugar.
- Eat more vegetables.
Problem Zone - 3. Between the eye brows
Issue - Liver
- Check for food allergies.
- Avoid dairy.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoid late night snacks.
Problem Zone - 4 and 5. On the temples
Possible Issue - Kidneys
- Drink more water.
- Eat your water. Eat foods like cucumbers, watermelon that have a lot of water.
- Eat less junk food to reduce the amount of unhealthy fat in your diet
Problem - 6. On the nose
Possible Issue - Heart/ High blood pressure
Possible Solution - Adjust your life according to medical advice. You can also:
- Massage the area around your nose for better circulation
- Eat less spicy food.
- Eat less meat.
- Eat less salt.
Problem Zone - 7 and 8
Possible Issue - Respiratory
Possible Solution - Quit smoking. If you don't smoke, check your diet and environment for possible allergens. For example:
- Change pillowcases frequently.
- Check if your laundry detergent is irritating your skin.
- Clean your phone with rubbing alcohol. We carry our phones everywhere, they are filthy!
- Clean your makeup brushes regularly.
- Brush you teeth and floss regularly to maintain dental health.
Problem Zone - 9. Around the lips
- Change your toothpaste and mothwash.
- Change your lip products.
- Eat less spicy food.
- Eat less oily food.
- Include more fiber, fresh fruit and vegetables in your diet.
Problem Zone - 10, 11 and 12. On the chin and jawline.
Possible Issue - Hormones
Possible Solution - You could be ovulating or stressed. If it's the latter you can manage the stress by:
- Visiting a therapist.
- Eating healthier.
- Relaxing through yoga, massage, meditation, journaling etc
- Regular exercise.
- Get more sleep.
If it's hormonal:
- Get your hormones checked for imbalances.
- Drink spearmint tea.
- Take omega-3s to help regulate hormones.
As you can see, most of these solutions are lifestyle based. But they can make a difference. It's clear how important it is to create healthy habits to have healthy skin.
Have you tried face mapping before? I did, and Zone 8 was my main problem. It actually made sense because I'm asthmatic and had tooth decay in that area! Interesting, eh?
Find more on https://www.skincerelyclare.com/
GlamAfric is the online destination for beauty & wellness customers and professionals. Professionals can display their work, connect with new and existing customers and grow their business with the support of our GlamHouse back-office. Customers can easily discover new professionals, book services online and get style inspiration. At GlamAfric we want to make booking beauty and wellness appointments simple, fast & 24/7. Whether it’s finding new beauty & wellness professionals or booking with your favourite one, scheduling appointments just got easier.