Want Healthier Hair? Then Eat These 5 Foods
When it comes to haircare there is no shortage of topical products promising us healthy hair. Yet one of the most impactful things we can do for our hair's health is to take an inside-out approach.
Jessica Jones, MS, RD, CDE, cookbook author and co-founder of Food Heaven Made Easy, agrees that eating the right foods can have a profound effect on hair health. As someone who works with women of color to better understand nutrition, Jones has ample insight into just what foods we should be eating for strong and flourishing locs. Keep reading to find out exactly what foods you should incorporate more of in your diet STAT!
1. Flaxseeds: "Flaxseeds are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, which help lubricate our hair by providing moisture and hydration for our hair follicles. It's always a good idea to choose ground flaxseeds over whole for better absorption of nutrients."
2. Spinach: "Spinach is a rich source of vitamin A, which regulates our body’s production of sebum, an oily substance secreted by tiny glands in our skin, which helps to lubricate our hair and scalp.
"I like to think of sebum as your body's natural moisturizer. If you are not a fan of spinach, kale, collards and chard are alternative leafy greens that provide a rich source of vitamin A."
3. Chickpeas: "Chickpeas are an excellent source of iron, an essential mineral that plays an important role in hair growth. Some studies suggest that low iron intake leads to the progression of hair loss. Low iron can also lead to the development of iron-deficiency anemia, which can have an effect on hair quality."
4. Salmon: "Salmon is rich in protein, which is very important to hair because it's made up of keratin, a form of protein. Keratin forms the basic building blocks of our strands. So it’s important to maintain a healthy protein intake.
"Salmon is also one of the best sources for omega-3s, which help lubricate our hair by providing moisture and hydration for our hair follicles."
5. Greek Yogurt: "Greek yogurt is high in protein, which is needed for keratin formation, which is what your hair is made of."
https://www.essence.com/hair/foods-healthy-hair-nutritionist-food-heaven-made-easy ...... SIRAAD DIRSHE
GlamAfric is the online destination for beauty & wellness customers and professionals. Professionals can display their work, connect with new and existing customers and grow their business with the support of our GlamHouse back-office. Customers can easily discover new professionals, book services online and get style inspiration. At GlamAfric we want to make booking beauty and wellness appointments simple, fast & 24/7. Whether it’s finding new beauty & wellness professionals or booking with your favourite one, scheduling appointments just got easier.